Update - We are still in contact with the LinkedIn team in order to resolve those issues which originate on the API level.
As of now, LinkedIn Company Pages and LinkedIn Ads Data Sources can still be affected.
Dec 6, 09:11 EST
Identified - We have identified an issue where LinkedIn Company Pages and LinkedIn Ads Data Sources can get disconnected from Databox and showing a "Revoked access" or "Connection revoked" error or any other similar permissions error.
The issue is caused on the LinkedIn API level. We are already in contact with the LinkedIn team to troubleshoot this and help resolve the issue.
Nov 29, 06:34 EST
Issues for Google Analytics have been resolved. Connecting new Google Analytics Data Sources is now possible again.
The issue for Google Analytics was caused because Google started a verification process on their end which temporarily disabled some functionalities in Databox like connecting new Google Analytics Data Sources. Existing Data Sources continued to sync as expected.
As for YouTube: connecting Data Sources is already possible, but you will be presented with a "App not verified" page which can be ignored until our YouTube Integration gets verified as well. This is expected in the next 24 hours.
Dec 10, 05:00 EST
We have identified that connecting new YouTube Data Sources is also temporarily unavailable.
Our team is still investigating what caused this in order to resolve it.
Dec 4, 15:48 EST
We are experiencing temporary issues with connecting new Google Analytics Data Sources.
Syncing of existing Google Analytics Data Sources and Custom Metrics is working as expected.
Dec 4, 15:10 EST
Our team investigated this and the issue was caused by one of our recent releases that was made on Saturday.
We didn't catch this issue immediately after the release, because the monitoring of most integrations was successful. On Monday, the issue became apparent and the appropriate fix was released right away.
We were experiencing an issue where certain Data Sources did not end up connecting up successfully. The Data Sources were showing the "Not connected" error. Affected were Data Sources, where the user had to additionally select which account, profile, view to connect.
Affected Data Sources were: Facebook Pages, Google Search Console, Google Sheets, Facebook Ads, Google Ads, LinkedIn Company Pages, Ahrefs, Linkedin Ads, Shopify, AccuRanker, Facebook Groups
We have already resolved the issue, but are still investigating the causes of this. Affected Data Sources can already be manually reconnected.
Affected users will also be individually contacted via email.
Dec 9, 04:40 EST
This incident has been resolved.
Nov 26, 10:47 EST
Our team has released a fix. All affected SQL Custom Metrics have been successfully re-synced.
We are still investigating the cause of the issue and are monitoring all connections
Nov 26, 05:45 EST
We are experiencing temporary syncing delays for all Custom Metrics that were built using the Query Builder. Affected might be any SQL Integration, such as MySQL, AzureSQL, PostgreSQL, MSSQL, BigQuery, SalesForce.
Our team is actively working on the fix. We will post an update as soon as we have more information on this.
Nov 26, 04:40 EST